How you can help your sibling
Gee, that's really helping me a lot, Julia!
Here are some things you can do to be a big help to your autistic sibling:
1. Watch the therapists and others who take care of your sibling. Learn some of the things they do to help him/her. Hopefully you can do some of these things too!
2. Buy something you know they’ll like.
3. Offer to take care of him or her when your parents are busy.
4. Learn more about autism. Click here for some websites to visit.
5. Do something with your sibling that they think is fun.
6. Stick up for them when other kids tease them (or you).
7. Teach them new things.
8. Help them learn how to do things they don’t know how to do.
9. Teach other people how to deal with your sibling.
10. Make friends with other siblings of autistic kids.
11. Accept when your parents or others have to pay more attention to them than you.
12. Explain to others, who will be spending a lot of time with you and/or your autistic sibling, all about autism and your sibling. Give them hints about how they should treat your sibling and help them.
13. Start a charity about your autistic sibling – just kidding!